Saturday, July 9, 2011

LG (Life's Great!)

Yeah, it's not a new story that months pass between my posts so I won't make any excuses.

Right now I'm in a secluded place, a place where I get a lot of thinking done, I'm listening to Dave Matthews, which takes me back to some good memories.  My mental state has been so relaxed and satisfied that it's made me think about what got me here, what has happened recently to make me so close to nirvana?

It's been so many things, I'm surrounded by good people that make me smile and inspire me to be my best self. I especially have to give a shout out to my roomies at the A-Team house, you guys are awesome.  Besides the people I think it's that I have a perfect balance of work and play, I have only taken 2 or 3 days off this summer, but I know that I am going to be doing something fun at night so it keeps me going, plus having two good jobs to mix it up keeps things interesting.

Also things are picking up with my involvement on campus, both with Service Center as the PR Chair, and Student Alumni as the Membership Chair, It makes me feel useful, knowing that I am in a way a cog (however miniscule) that helps keep the university turning.  Also both of those positions keep teaching me new things and skills which, if you really know me, is what makes me happy. Always increasing my knowledge or skills.

I think the biggest thing that has contributed to this feeling I have right now is that I am increasing my self-mastery.  There are several things I could talk about in which I am developing this attribute, but I'll focus on one.  Recently I ended 1 year of going without potato chips, which were at the time my greatest weakness as far as junk food goes. It really wasn't that hard, and I don't really crave them even now that I can eat them.  The whole experience I think planted a bug in me though, now I want to keep doing it with other food types, like soda, french fries etc. So Monday, while I was with some close friends celebrating the birth of America in beautiful Huntsville UT, I got talking with a few people about the subject and by the end of the conversation, half a dozen people had agreed to go a year without candy with me. I really didn't expect to have other people join me, but they did!  We just decided that none of us need candy and we don't really crave it, we just eat it when it's convenient, and the occasional time you pass by the aisle in the grocery store and have a sweet tooth.  On top of that it's the one food group that has virtually no nutritional value.  So we made the pact, from July 4th til the next time the fireworks fly for America, myself and a small band of people will be candy free.  I have received mixed reactions from people when I tell them about it, some are amazed by it, some are unimpressed, some are critical that we aren't eliminating all sweets like cake and brownies (I say one battle at a time), then there is my brother who didn't care for the idea at first, but after thinking about it for a bit, decided to join in himself. The reaction that most stuck out to me (meaning it caused me to write this post) happened a couple nights ago, there were a few people in my room talking, including a girl I don't really know, when she found out about my quest she laughed in a mocking tone and said:

"oh man, you're life is going to suck!"...

Yeah, it really sucks being in control of my life. Being able to deny myself something that seems desirable but in reality won't help me out in anyway.  My mission president was a wise man, and also a multi-millionaire businessman, and one zone conference he was asked which attribute he personally thought would lead to success not only as a missionary but in life in general. His response? Self-Mastery. Which coincides with one of my favorite inspirational quotes "A successful person does the thing that needs to be done, when it needs to be done, whether they like it or not." -Aldoux Huxley.  In other words, self control takes you places, whereas complacency just takes you for a ride.  The opposition makes me more excited about it though, it's been about a week now and I've had to turn down a couple offers already, I almost feel like this will help me realize how much I really do eat candy. My biggest competitor so far is the jar of Dum-Dums that sits on the counter at work, staring me down whenever I have a second. I have not caved though! It really hasn't been that hard yet. I guess we'll see once halloween rolls around...

Honestly, I agree with my mission president, there is nothing as satisfying as saying no to something you could say yes to, but choose not to because you know it won't benefit you or those around you. That feeling is success, and it leads to more and more success as you thrive off that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment